Girl Scout Gold Award Candidate, Launches Connecting Kids with Medical Grants Program
Connecting Kids with Medical Grants initiative to enable happy, healthier kids has been created by Rachelle, Girl Scout Gold Award* candidate. This initiative seeks to reach parents of kids in need of medical care by raising awareness of UHCCF grants and Oliver and Hope® books and materials that help fund the grants. Plan to participate with your group today!
Participating is as simple as 1 – 2 – 3.
- Sign a pledge to share the UHCCF mission with an order of one or more Oliver and Hope books and UHCCF medical grant brochures.
- Schedule a visit with a local daycare or elementary age children to read to the children and share grant brochures with their parents.
- Share your experience by completing a post-visit survey and posting pictures of the event with appropriate parent permission on this web page, UHCCF Facebook page, Girl Scout Facebook page or your own social media pages.
Help children by increasing medical grant funds through Oliver and Hope book sales and promoting increased grant applications. A child in your community may be in need of a medical grant!
Interested in Sponsoring an Event?:
View a Calendar of featured events to learn more about the different ways to partner with UHCCF.
Looking for a Corporate Volunteering Opportunity?:
There’s no better way to team-build than by assembling your organization to take part in one of our events, like Connecting Kids with Medical Grants project. Our volunteers have fun and walk away with a truly memorable experience that impacts lives. In addition to this event, check out other corporate opportunities.
*The Girl Scout Gold Award represents the highest achievement in Girl Scouting, recognizing girls who demonstrate extraordinary leadership through remarkable Take Action projects that have sustainable impact in their communities-and beyond.
I pledge to:
- Participate in the Connecting Kids with Medical Grants Program and raise community awareness of UHCCF medical grants and Oliver & Hope Books.
- Read one or more Oliver and Hope books to an elementary students, daycare center children, younger Girl Scout troop members and/or special needs centers of my choosing and donate a book or books to the center.
- Provide leaders and parents with UHCCF information regarding Oliver & Hope books and medical grant instructional guides.
- Complete a post-survey and with parent’s authorized permission post a picture of the event on this web page or social media site.
- Consider purchasing Oliver & Hope Books to donate to the site.
- Consider purchasing joke books or other UHCCF Products to give to kids who respond to questions. All proceeds of UHCCF product fund UHCCF medical grants for kids.
- Request UHCCF Brochures – in enough quantity for your event.
Setting up the event
- Reach out to your preferred site’s principal and/or leader.
- Schedule a mutually agreeable date and time.
- Confirm you have 30 minutes or more to read the kids
- Ask for a quiet setting with good lighting.
- Confirm the number of kids that will be attending.
- Ask to hand out UHCCF brochures to parents or ask they be distributed.
- Theme the meeting Oliver & Hope, share Oliver & Hope information before the meeting.
- Ask about permission to post pictures of the event on social media.
Week before event
- Re-confirm the date, time and number of kids attending the week of the meeting.
- Pick one or two books to read to the kids and practice.
- Prepare questions to ask the kids pertaining to the book.
- Read one or more Oliver and Hope books to kids. Print and share coloring pages.
- Provide parents with UHCCF with information regarding Oliver & Hope books and medical grant instructional guides.
- Ask the kids questions pertaining to the story and give a joke book/ stickers to those who responded to the questions correctly.
- Post a picture of the event on the UHCCF facebook page or social media site with child parent’s permission if needed.
- Complete the post-event survey to share your experience with the program.
- Consider selecting another site or encouraging others to volunteer to spread the word.
Your purchase of Oliver & Hope books, toys and accessories will help the real-life journey of children and their families in need. Proceeds support medical grants that help children gain access to medical-related services and items that enhance their lives, and as a result, enhance the life of their entire families.